Sep 3, 2018

FEMINISM: "Dorra Bouzid"


Dorra Bouzid Drawing
Dorra Bouzid - Mixed media (16/04/2018)

I am a Tunisian Doctor of Pharmacy but I am also an Art hobbyist and a freethinker who is supportive of the feminist movement, so it is an honor for me to be selected this year, for the fourth edition of the Chouftouhonna International Feminist Art Festival!
By the way, the festival is going to take place in Tunis from the 6th untill the 9th of September. I will make sure to share my experience on my new blog, right here, in order to motivate more Tunisian women to participate in such event! So stay tuned 😘
As you can tell from the photo above, my artwork is going to be part of the "Graphic Arts" category of the festival. It is basically a portrait of my Tunisian feminist idol "Dorra Bouzid". For this piece that I simply called after her name, I used  mixed media; watercolor pencils, Indian ink and acrylic, on an A4-sized Canson paper. Now, concerning the subject of the artwork, as you can see, I made sure to center the figure of this great women and to surround it by some symbols which highlight some of Dorra's major achievements in life!
If the name "Dorra bouzid" did not ring a bell to you, then get ready to be impressed! This woman is not only the first Tunisian serologist- pharmacist but also and most importantly, the first female journalist in Tunisia! She was the co-founder of 9 media outlets including the first Arab-African feminist women's press: LEILA in "L' action", the leading women's magazine "FAIZA" (1959-1968), and "Femmes et Réalités" (founder). She also collaborated in 35 media. And guess who was the creator of the famous « Soirée des Écoles de Danse » (1976-1988) at the Carthage International Festival! Yep! it is her!
Another reason why this women is my idol, is because we have another thing in common (other than Pharmacy, da! 😛) which is the passion for Graphic Arts! Actually, Dorra Bouzid wrote the bestseller "École de Tunis", the first reference book on the Tunisian painting style! Too bad, it is no longer published! It would be a pleasure to see her work in libraries again! 
This versatile Tunisian icon's life was documented by a Walid Tayaa film, called "Dorra Bouzid - Une tunisienne, un combat". So, if you want to know more about her, you can watch it! I bet you will enjoy it! I also highly recommend sharing the documentary, in order to inspire other women and remind them that they are capable of doing more than they think they can do! And hey you can also share my artwork and my blog! 😍
From Tunisia with love 💗

References: 
  • https://lepetitjournal.com/tunis/actualites/rencontre-dorra-bouzid-une-tunisienne-un-combat-53176
  • https://youtu.be/Wcy1IBQeLGY

No comments:

Post a Comment