Apr 1, 2019

CREATING AND TRANSORMING ART: Simple and affordable ways

Take a second and imagine yourself stuck in a dystopian world, where artists refuse to share their artworks with the rest of the world?! How would that really feel? This terrifying thought re-emerged in my thinking, after watching a recently-released movie, called "Velvet Buzzsaw", which, I am afraid, wasn't highly entertaining. However, I must say, I did appreciate its dullness, because, it did translate the coldness of the overrated world of snobbish contemporary artists. My point is; regardless of its quality, Art is supposed to be shared and accessible to everyone! 
You don't need to be a talented artist, of great means, in order to experience and savour art! There is always a way to make something shareable with others or simply something fun that you can enjoy crafting, with your kids or friends! Shortage of materials is not an excuse! One can simply use what is available, within her or his reach! Let's cut this short and go straight to the how of things, by stating an example! So, here is my idea for making a personalized artistic phone case for a cellphone with basic and cheap materials. No need for thermal or 3D printers! All you need is a transparent phone case, a colored sticker paper and a design of your choice, that you can draw directly on the sticker paper, after cutting it, in a way that matches the shape and the features of your phone. You can always do this differently, for example; by cutting the paper into strips! Be creative and have fun! :D

Personalized Sticker for cellphones
Personalized sticker - Black ink on an orange sticker paper
Personalized cellphone decoration
Personalized cellphone decoration- sticker + transparent cover

Some people might wonder why I didn't share a draft of my design, before posting my personalized phone case. Well, I am trying to share the actual chronological process of my creations, with you :) I have always wanted to do a portrait of Hygeia, especially after my sister gave me a postcards 
book, featuring a selection of famous pieces of art made by the Austrian symbolist painter Gustav Klimt, but I was lacking motivation to do it, until I felt the need to decorate my phone. I did the design, primarly, on the sticker, without drafts, but, of course, I had to do some fixing. 
Months later, I noticed that the sticker is, unfortunately, a bit damaged,  because I took the tansparent cover off way too often. So, I thought about reproducing it, using mixed media, this time! As you can see below, I drew the same design on a watercolor paper, with a purple ink ballpoint pen. After that, I did the coloring, using water soluble colored pencils.
 
Hygeia Drawing - Before and After Coloring
Hygeia - Mixed media on watercolor paper
What's next?


I digitalized my artwork and I edited many copies differently, by changing the contrast and the balance of the original colors, using Adobe Photoshop CS6. Then, I created the following GIF, thanks to Google Photos Animation, in order to get the "psychedelic trip" effect and experience Augmented Reality, using an AR app!

Hygiea GIF
Hygeia - GIF

No comments:

Post a Comment