Jul 15, 2021

Marseille: An overwhelming cultural experience !

Now that it's summertime and the curfew is over here in the old port city of France, a foreign student like me finally got to pay attention to more than random amateur's throw-ups and tags and see more than the same COVID-19 posters near the places I used to live in. Actually, now one can really take the time to enjoy both large and small elaborate street art and gaze at posters designs of real cultural events, everywhere that I go, be it in dirty neighborhoods or in upper-crust districts and touristic zones!

To be fair, I did appreciate the continuous upgrade of digital and paper out-of-home media by RTM (The Public Transport company in  Marseille) , even during the partial lockdowns, as well as the virtual events and competitions that Aix-Marseille university (AMU) kept notifying me about, via my inbox, during the whole academic year. I mean it is better than nothing! Besides, AMU's newsletters are simply remarkable! Hats-off to Communication Mangers who work with passion for public institutions! It is in part their communication  strategy, as well as the active virtual students' life that encouraged me  this year, to participate in two art competitions for students. One was unfortunately cancelled at the last time by the AMU Master's students who came up with the project that they called "Art and sustainable development competition", the other one is the well-known annual French Comics competition by the French regional centers for student affairs, the CROUS. As expected, the latter was highly competitive. I didn't make it! However, I do not regret investing my time and energy in such a contest, because I dared doing something new and challenging, I mean, the theme "2050" is not that easy to imagine and to turn into a story of more than one sketch! I am quite satisfied with the narrative of my futuristic comics "La comédie humaine" which was inspired by Auguste Rodin! 

Anyway, at least, I was rewarded for all of my artistic projects that were actually counted as part of my curriculum during my first year's master degree in health communication, at the School of Journalism and Communication of Aix-Marseille (EJCAM, École de Journalisme et de Communication d'Aix-Marseille! For those for are interested or just curious about the kind of artistic tasks that I was asked to do, they can check a whole section called "MASTER'S PORTFOLIO" that I added to my website rimaofficina.wordpress.com . 

During my free time, I did make some random sketches just for fun. The one that I consider worth sharing was a naughty pop-art painting on a tiny canvas using fabric markers and gouache. Even though it wasn't very elaborate, I am happy with the tacky outcome, because I got loose a little while ruining it! You can also find this artwork on my website, under the name "She sucked your mind". Never underestimate the liberating power of being in France! 


Marseille is an underrated French gem! It is not only an open-air museum thanks to its Graffiti and its old Baroque and Haussmanian buildings ! It is also rich by its different kinds of municipal museums which offer interesting permanent collections and intriguing private expositions! It is important to note that the entry to the latter is free every first Sunday of each month! How amazing is that! Most people have probably heard of its Mucem, and lately of Jeff Koons's visit with his typical huge pop art sculptures but unfortunately not a lot of people, especially students from North Africa seem to be aware of the importance of other museums, like "La Vielle Charité", which I had the chance to visit this month in order to realize one of my dreams which is simply seeing some of Salvador Dali's paintings live! Actually, it was part of a notable exposition dedicated to "Surrealism in the American Art" that is taking place there, until the 26th of September of the current year ! And let's not forget about the other fun next-door exhibition of 25000 jokes about COVID-19 in different languages! It was with no doubt a memorable experience, I mean, first, I learned a little about the history of surrealism between the 30's and the late 60's, in America, then I had a laugh with other visitors staring at memes from all over the world, glued to real walls! Of course, between the two visits, I took a break to enjoy a mouthwatering chocolate cake at the small and homey cafeteria in this majestic building, which is just a few steps away from the birthplace of its famous designer! Yes, it is Pierre Puget, one of the geniuses who introduced the Italian Baroque style to France! 

No comments:

Post a Comment